Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 07 Tundra Engine Codes p0171 and p0174 Need Help

Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 07 Tundra Engine Codes p0171 and p0174 Need Help

Hey Henry!!!

Sorry I haven't chimed in till now, I've been busy with the holidays.

So P0171, and P0174. Those are very common codes.

First questions; What year truck? Engine? S/C or N/A?

There are many things that can cause this code. Because you've already replaced the MAF, that can be ruled out.

Next question; does your code reader also have the ability to display data lists? If so, go into the data list and watch Short term and Long term fuel trim. Long term is an adpated number that changes over a period of time. Short term is instant. Both of those numbers should be as close to zero as possible at all times. If the numbers are positive, it means the computer sees the truck is running lean, so it adds fuel. Negative numbers are the exact opposite. Your numbers will obviously be positive. So here's what you do;

1) See what the numbers do while idling. My guess is that they will both be higher than 15.
    2) Take the truck for a drive, and see what the numbers do then (preferably with a passenger to monitor while you drive). You will need a decent refresh rate on your code reader for this also. If the numbers stay high when accelerating, then it is most likely a sensor issue, or possibly fuel pressure. My guess is that while accelerating, the numbers will go down closer to zero, then climb back up when idling or cruising, which means you have a vacuum leak somewhere. I know you said you smoke tested the truck, but there's so many things connected to the intake that you may not even see where the smoke is going.
    3) If step 2 determines there is a vacuum leak, keep the truck running, and the code reader connected with long and short term fuel trim up on the screen. Now, find all components that run off engine vacuum (brake booster, EVAP system, etc.), and disconnect them one at a time, plugging the vacuum port to the engine. What this does is eliminates that component from the system. When you find the faulty component, you will know it. THe Long term fuel trim will stay positive, but short term fuel trim will go negative about the same amount. Leave each component disconnected for about 5 minutes before hooking it back up, to see if the numbers change. Also, look at the crankcase vent tubes, to see if they are still hooked into the air intake tube. Those being disconnected can cause the light to come on also.

Good luck, post any questions here, or let us know what you find!!!

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7
    2"/4" drop; Belltech shocks, TR rear axle flip kit, Sequoia front swaybar, TRD rear swaybar with TR relocation kit
    BHLM with Oracle 5K LED low beams, DDM/Morimoto 5K 35W HID fogs, VLED switchback turn signals
    TRD Supercharger, G-Tek Fab SABM Kit, JBA long tube headers, custom dual 3" catted exhaust
    IPT modified valve body, CalTrac low-profile traction bars, 4.30 gear swap, Auburn Gear Pro LSD
    Check out my dyno graphs and track times here

2. Thanks Dez, 07TRD, cater, tonyspin "Thanks for this post"
    Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $6235
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the Reply I will try this today when the shop slows down, We have a Snap On Scanner ( the most updated newest one) so I'm sure it has all that data stuff I'll let you know what I find, The Truck is a 07 with 119,000 Miles, I Love the Truck but the problems I've had this year is burning a hole in my pocket

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking vacuum leak.

Shoot me a PM about G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors and SABM (Stock Air Box Mod) kits for your 2007/2016+ Tundra>>> PM Dez

"Gregorio"

Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck man!!!

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7
    2"/4" drop; Belltech shocks, TR rear axle flip kit, Sequoia front swaybar, TRD rear swaybar with TR relocation kit
    BHLM with Oracle 5K LED low beams, DDM/Morimoto 5K 35W HID fogs, VLED switchback turn signals
    TRD Supercharger, G-Tek Fab SABM Kit, JBA long tube headers, custom dual 3" catted exhaust
    IPT modified valve body, CalTrac low-profile traction bars, 4.30 gear swap, Auburn Gear Pro LSD

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $6235
    Post Thanks / Like

Heres what I have at Idle
    Short FT #1 -0.03 +0.75
    Long FT #1 25.74
    Short FT #2 7.78 - 8.56
    02 FT B2 S2 99.2
    AF FT B1S2 0.993-1.001

Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, so the Long term fuel trim on bank 1 is showing the engine is for sure running lean. I don't see Long term for bank 2 on there, but I am guessing it's somewhere near the same as #1.

Now take it for a drive and watch those numbers as you accelerate. If long tern #1 and #2 goes down when accelerating, that means you FOR SURE have a vacuum leak at idle, and you'll need to follow the instructions above to figure out where it's coming from.

Most of the time, it's the larger of the two additional hoses connected to the intake tube that's left off. I did, however, have a couple cases where the brake booster developed a leak, and was constantly allowing air to be sucked in, leaning out the engine. That's very rare though. Another thing I've seen is the EVAP purge valve being stuck open, but you would usually get an EVAP code popping up if that was the case. The final thing I've seen is the tube for the PCV system being disconnected (I left one off once by mistake after replacing the air pumps), but I'm guessing you would've seen that with your smoke test.

Let us know what you find.

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7

TG Super Moderator
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

If it started right after the alternator replacement, check for a vacuum line that was left off during the installation. Maybe one is just not pushed on all the way.

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $6235
    Post Thanks / Like

I Checked all the Hoses Moved everything wiggled everything and I Drove around and the Light hasn't come back on yet, My MPG seems like it is improving a little on the display, I'll give it a week and see how it goes.

10. Thanks Dez "Thanks for this post"
    Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol! You wiggled your hose...

Shoot me a PM about G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors and SABM (Stock Air Box Mod) kits for your 2007/2016+ Tundra>>> PM Dez

"Gregorio"

TG Super Moderator
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Lol! You wiggled your hose...
    Pictures?

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $6235
    Post Thanks / Like

lol i'll get a video, I know you all like videos, anyways i'll definetly check in the forum more I missed all you guys and all your helpful hints. Thanks a lot i'll keep you all posted on whats going on

14. Thanks Dez "Thanks for this post"
    Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $6235
    Post Thanks / Like

problem came back, getting 9 mpg city and 12-13 highway My boss will look at the suggestion by mptoy today and help me look into it, I have an appointment with Toyota tmrw to check out a 2014 Tundra The only code I got was p0174

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast