Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a TRD Big Brake Kit

Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just picked up a TRD Big Brake Kit

Shop at 4Wheelparts.com for 20% off sitewide and FREE SHIPPING
    I got a phone call from an old coworker of mine today; he said "Would you be interested in a used TRD Big Brake Kit for your truck? It needs pads, possibly rotors, and is missing the stainless brake hoses.", I said "Possibly, depending on the price. How much?". I knew very well that this kit new is $2K+ (almost $3K retail), so I was expecting somewhere in the $750-$1K range. He then told me the price. "75 bucks". Before he could finish the word "bucks" I was on my way to the bank!!!

For those that don't know, the TRD Big Brake kit is a performance upgrade for the front brakes. It uses MASSIVE drilled 16" directional rotors, replaces the factory 4-piston calipers with much bigger and beefier 6-piston models (equipped with much larger pads), and (when buying new) gives you stainless braided brake hoses for a firmer pedal feel.

Seeing that I didn't get the stainless hoses, I went ahead and bought 2 kits from StopTech; one for the front, and one for the rear. Total for those was $164 after Black Friday savings

The pads were at 3mm. I will be ordering new ones when the time comes to install them. $120.

Rotors are the tough part. This is the main problem with this kit; the pads wear heavily into the rotors, causing extremely deep grooves. TRD says you can't machine them, but I'm going to try, as they can't be run with new pads in their current state, and new rotors are about $350 ea from TRD. I'm also looking into different style rotors, but haven't found anything so far that may work. If anyone knows of an A/M rotor that may work / is compatible with this kit, please let me know!!! I know that StopTech made the Big Brake Kit for TRD, so I'm going to be contacting them to try and get a cheaper price on the rotors.

All-in-all though, If machining the existing rotors ends up working out, my high performance brake system will be 75% complete (rear pads / rotors still stock), all for under $400!!! How's that for braking on a budget?

More pics to follow after everything gets cleaned up!!!
    Last edited by MPToy07; 11-30-2013 at 10:03 PM.

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7
    2"/4" drop; Belltech shocks, TR rear axle flip kit, Sequoia front swaybar, TRD rear swaybar with TR relocation kit
    BHLM with Oracle 5K LED low beams, DDM/Morimoto 5K 35W HID fogs, VLED switchback turn signals
    TRD Supercharger, G-Tek Fab SABM Kit, JBA long tube headers, custom dual 3" catted exhaust
    IPT modified valve body, CalTrac low-profile traction bars, 4.30 gear swap, Auburn Gear Pro LSD
    Check out my dyno graphs and track times here

2. Thanks Supercharged, Rut, jmartin1110, Dez, jbroas "Thanks for this post"
    Gameroom Cash
    $21325
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just picked up a TRD Big Brake Kit

Dude that is a sweet find.

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $16825
    Post Thanks / Like

heluva deal! Nice

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown-
    “The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” -Carlos Casteneda-
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Voltaire

TG Super Moderator
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

Great deal!!

TG Vendor
    Gameroom Cash
    $67285
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great deal! I'll give ya $200 for it

TRD | Magnuson Superchargers | Bilstein | G-Tek Fab | ReadyLIFT | WeatherTech

I sell OEM, TRD and Aftermarket parts and accessories.
    PM me here, e-mail us here or complete our contact form.

2016 Tundra CrewMax TRD Pro
    TRD Intake | LED DRL/Fog Light Upgrade | Predator Pro Steps | Corsa Exhaust
    BFG A/TKO2 285/65R18 | OEM Audio+ | Camlocker | DIY Auto Headlights

2009 Tundra D-Cab TRD Sport
    Lowered, supercharged and SOLD

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Wowzers!

Shoot me a PM about G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors and SABM (Stock Air Box Mod) kits for your 2007/2016+ Tundra>>> PM Dez

"Gregorio"

TG Vendor
    Gameroom Cash
    $67285
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, if you need new rotors I think Brembo makes a big brake kit for our trucks too. Don't know if the rotors will interchange (or if they're any cheaper) but it might be worth looking into. I can save you a little money on the TRD rotors if you need them though. Just let me know...

TRD | Magnuson Superchargers | Bilstein | G-Tek Fab | ReadyLIFT | WeatherTech

I sell OEM, TRD and Aftermarket parts and accessories.
    PM me here, e-mail us here or complete our contact form.

2016 Tundra CrewMax TRD Pro
    TRD Intake | LED DRL/Fog Light Upgrade | Predator Pro Steps | Corsa Exhaust
    BFG A/TKO2 285/65R18 | OEM Audio+ | Camlocker | DIY Auto Headlights

2009 Tundra D-Cab TRD Sport
    Lowered, supercharged and SOLD

Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so in a full weekend of online shopping, I've also gotten a whole bunch of research done regarding the TRD Big Brake Kit, and bought some components.

The brake rotors cannot be machined as I originally thought. Reason for this is the rotor material is tapered between the two friction surfaces (where the fins are), so the rotors are very thin towards the inner edge of the braking surface. I've taken a couple pics to show this:

This is the outer edge of the rotors. Notice the amount of material between the friction surface and the fin area. Now look at the next picture:

This is the inner edge. Notice how much thinner it is between the friction surface and fins? These rotors were designed that way for better cooling. Unfortunately, it also made them unmachineable. If someone were to try to machine them, it would ultimately result in extreme warping, or even worse, rotor failure. These rotors are worn past their useable life (even though they only have 50K on them).

Notice how much the rotor is worn down where the pad contacts it; I believe this is due to TRD's pads being too aggressive and wearing into the rotors. So far the best quote I've gotten on the rotors is $350 EACH. For that much money, I don't want them to be worn out in another 50K. So I set out looking for 1) Aftermarket pads that would fit, and 2) A pad that will provide decent stopping power, reasonable amounts of dust, low noise, and high fade resistance.

I ran across this thread (sorry in advance for the link to the red site), that provided a great deal of useful information, and ultimately helped me decide on which pads to buy: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...n-getting-trd/

My plan of direction has changed for this build; it will be built a bit overkill to handle my days at the track, but still provide good daily reliability. Here's what I have so far;

Front:
    TRD BBK (Stoptech ST-65) calipers
    Stock TRD BBK rotors
    Porterfield R4-S AP756 front brake pads
    Stoptech Stainless brake hoses

Rear:
    Stock calipers
    Stoptech Cryo Drilled rotors
    Porterfield R4-S AP1304 rear brake pads
    Stoptech Stainless brake hoses

Needless to say, buying the TRD BBK has sparked my interest for building a performance brake system. I'm going to be spending a lot of money

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7
    2"/4" drop; Belltech shocks, TR rear axle flip kit, Sequoia front swaybar, TRD rear swaybar with TR relocation kit
    BHLM with Oracle 5K LED low beams, DDM/Morimoto 5K 35W HID fogs, VLED switchback turn signals
    TRD Supercharger, G-Tek Fab SABM Kit, JBA long tube headers, custom dual 3" catted exhaust
    IPT modified valve body, CalTrac low-profile traction bars, 4.30 gear swap, Auburn Gear Pro LSD

10. Thanks jbroas "Thanks for this post"
    Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@ToyotaTunerz View Post
    Oh yeah, if you need new rotors I think Brembo makes a big brake kit for our trucks too. Don't know if the rotors will interchange (or if they're any cheaper) but it might be worth looking into. I can save you a little money on the TRD rotors if you need them though. Just let me know...
    Thanks Joe. Sent you a PM regarding the rotors.

The Brembo (I believe) is 380mm, which is around 15 inches. The TRD BBK rotors are 405mm (16 inches). Rotora makes a 405mm BBK for these trucks with 2 piece rotors, but even IF they would fit, I wouldn't be able to afford them.

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7

Gameroom Cash
    $35115
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't want to drive behind your truck when you finish your performance brake system.
    TRD Supercharger, Shift Kit, M&H Cheater Slicks, Rear Cat Delete, Ground Force 3" lowering rear leaf, G-Tek Airbox Mod, Magnaflow 12468 DI/DO with turndowns, Caltrac Traction Bars, 2400 rpm TC, ASP Bigger Crank pulley, ASP water pulley, Trick Performance 2 gallon reservoir, Killer Chiller, AEM wideband, Autometer water (intercooler fluid) temp gauge, Craven Speed Dual Gauge Pod, AIS water/Meth Injection, ASP supercharger pulley, Ultra Gauge.

First 11 Second Tundra. 11.940 @ 113.19mph.
    1.66 second 60'.

Track Video. First 11 Second Tundra!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb9MNYFwUFA

Track Video 12.034 @ 113mph http://www.jdmtube.com/video/657/Toy...PH-PBIR-Moroso

Track Video 12.15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr09O...e_gdata_player

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $7992
    Post Thanks / Like

kinda late but found stoptech rotors from zeckhausen racing for the bbk for 285. im guessing they're exacly the same as the trd ones but come in a different box and trd doesn't get to make money off them. they also carry abutment plates thank god because i found a couple broke last time i changed pads.
    2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L TRD 4x4 Limited, TRD big brake kit, TRD Supercharger, TRD swaybar, TRD dual exhaust, TRD fender flares, Retrax roll up bed cover, JL stealthbox, billet grille, 20" KMC Rockstars w/custom center caps wrapped in 305/50R20 Nitto TerraGrapplers, Toyota running boards, electronic tail gate unlatch mod....more to come

Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for an update; I finally installed the front portion of this system last weekend!!!

No expenses were held; I wanted the TRD calipers to be black, so I went with a brush-on caliper paint kit, and mixed in some hardener to make sure it stays on there for years to come. I also painted the backing plates after trimming and the wheel hubs, to prevent rust buildup causing excessive runout on the rotors.

Here's what I had for the install;

TRD rotors and calipers, StopTech braided stainless lines, Porterfield R4-S AP756 front brake pads.

Here's what the stock rotors look like next to the MASSIVE TRD rotors!!!

I completely removed the wheel hubs and backing plates to modify them. Four bolts and they come right out. The backing plates HAVE to be modified, otherwise they rub on the rotors after install. Here's what mine look like after some trimming with a cutoff wheel;

Then I grabbed a finishing pad to smooth out the rough edges. After some paint, the hubs and backing plates went back on, ready to accept the new rotors. Finished product;

I then secured the rotors in place without the wheel and measured runout. The passenger side required a bit of sanding on the hub and repainting to bring the rotors within the .0019" runout spec Toyota suggests. I forgot to post a pic up of this procedure with the dial indicator installed, but you can see in this next pic where I marked the high and low spots on the rotor for reference;

After that was done, it was time For the calipers and braided lines to be installed!!!

I took the truck out and the first few stops felt pretty similar to stock. I then proceeded to bed in the brakes properly. I never got the brakes to fade, but after ten 60mph-10mph HARD stops there was smoke rolling from the front brakes, so I quit there and kept driving until the brakes cooled. After that I decided to try one more panic stop when I was almost back to the shop, and it felt like the truck was trying to rip my face off!!! This monster stops HARD!!!

I have the pads and rotors for the rear also, but I'm going to wait until I install a line lock system before I put them on, otherwise all the burnouts I do at the race track are just gonna tear them up. Stay tuned for that portion of the install in the future

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7

15. Thanks oejeffrey "Thanks for this post"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast