siliconehose.com

Thread: Tires - shaking the truck (wheel covers?)

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5185
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tires - shaking the truck (wheel covers?)

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had some experience with tires being difficult to balance.
    I had 6 attempts at several places that tried to balance them (one visit even rotated tires from front to back) but couldn't fully take out the shaking on the front end. I even bought new front tires to see if it made any difference. It helped some, but even so, the shaking is still there.

I finally went to my local dealer to have it addressed. I was told the following: the best tire size is to use stock size of 245/70/R16. I bought my 2000 Tundra used with tires on it already at P265/70/R16. I purchased 2 new front tires to see if it would help. The new tires are LT265/75/R16. I was a bit concerned about the extra 5% causing the wheel to be too big to complete full turns left and right, but so far seems to work.

Now, the dealer gave me this advice....If they take of the wheel covers, it helps to reduce the vibration. The trick with the older rims on the truck now, is that they do not have a whole in them to allow the newer machines to balance the whole wheel (cover included). Since these are older covers, they can only only balance the tire and rims. But putting the cover back on changes the balance characteristics so much that the cover can cause the tire to act out of balance again.

So, my question is this....has anyone experienced a tire cover being too heavy to interfere with a proper balancing?

Any input/feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Y'all,

bigTex

Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tires - shaking the truck (wheel covers?)

I don't buy the hub cap Too heavy story at all...

Did the dealer happen to mention possible warped brake rotors?

"Gregorio"

3. Thanks KrytikalCare thanked for this post
    Gameroom Cash
    $27700
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it could be do to warped rotors?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

SERENITY- 4 Wheels Move The Body, 2 Wheels Move The Soul...

Gameroom Cash
    $13545
    Post Thanks / Like

On a previous vehicle when I brakes, however slight, the steering wheel shook. I replaced the rotors and it stopped.

Gameroom Cash
    $169866
    Post Thanks / Like

Did this just start to happen out of nowhere?? Maybe the front suspension is damaged or something?

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5185
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's been some time since I last posted my question. I would have replied sooner, but life just happens.
    After putting on new tires, most of the vibration has been resolved. Now there is just a slight vibration at hwy speeds. Brought to dealer and they did a road force balance. I started with a shake that would vibrate the steering wheel about 1/2" between the left-to-right sway. (Original tires when truck was purchased). I got the new tires on LT265/75/16's. Load range E. I plan to use it for hauling stuff, not just a commuter truck. (Manufacture sticker says to use P245/75/16R) In the end, I still have a slight vibration, (maybe a 16th to an 8th of inch). So I am chalking it up to an empty bed. At this point, my Tundra is a second vehicle, so I don't drive it alot. Maybe a couple times a month. Now with new tires, it's going to be hard to answer the uneven wear question. I'll have to drive it more to let you know. When balancing we confirmed rotors are OK and no bent wheels. I have 2000 2DR V6 with an 8'ft bed. It has a tow package added on.

Tundra 2000 V6 - tow package

Gameroom Cash
    $2310
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site