TRDShop

Thread: '91 Toyota Pickup Dually

Gameroom Cash
    $5220
    Post Thanks / Like

Default '91 Toyota Pickup Dually

Hello Tundra Geeks!

Per request of Dez, I will be uploading my build thread from my '91 toyota hilux on here. I was directed to this site from a fellow member at Toyota Mini's who stumbled onto a thread started by KrytikalMedic who uploaded a quick snapshot he took of me driving my truck and uploaded it here. So without further a due!

My grandfather left the truck to me when he passed away. He and I did the dually conversion off a 92 toyota dolphin RV. It was many years ago and sadly I have no pictures of that process. This is how the truck was when I got it.

It hadn't ran in roughly 4 years. It was parked due to what we thought was a blown headgasket. My grandfather was too old to care about fixing it and had other vehicles so he parked it there and that's exactly how it sat for many years.

My cousin and I pushed it into the nearby barn and started working on it in the dirt, luckily we had a roof over our heads for when it was raining...

We replaced all the hoses, lines, and fluids and did a complete tune up then attempted to fire it up. After a bit of tinkering we concluded that the fuel pump had gone out on it from sitting in the tank for so many years and the hard fuel lines had rusted through so we drilled out the old lines and replaced them and the fuel pump.

We used steel putty just to assure it sealed, the lines were tight but I didn't want to chance water getting in it.

After the complete tune up, cleaning the inside of the fuel tank, replacing the fuel pump, and replacing brake lines it was on the road again.

I got myself a few little goodies to reward myself for getting my grandfathers last project back on the road.

Long tube headers and a short throw shift kit (no pics of the shifter)

A few months later I purchased all the things I would need to retro fit some extremely high quality HID's onto the truck.
    The kit below cost me ~$250

Had to modify the light housing to hold the new assembly.

I haven't gotten around to finishing the mounting of the assembly onto the housing and mounting them into the truck. I need to relocate my batt. for clearance of the longer headlights.

Winter came around and I turned my heater on only to be blasted in the face by pieces of grass and other mouse like things. I took off my blower motor and this fell out.

Mice are a nightmare when a car is left outside for years. ha ha.

I didn't like the ancient look of all the lighting inside the truck so it was my next step. (these pictures were taken for a writeup on toyota mini's which is why they appear to be a step by step)

I got new LED's for the gauge cluster and the climate control to remove that nasty green glow they have factory.

About 8 months after getting the truck back on the road, I allowed my uncle to borrow the truck to haul a bed, he came back laughing saying how he had been doing 120mph down the interstate in the truck (my speedo is off from the rear end swap so it was only ~85-95mph but had the rpm's burried well over what a 22re is comfortable doing) a few weeks later I noticed it was starting to burn oil, could have been coincidence, could have been something I did to it, could have just been it's time to start it's problems.

Cyl 1

Cyl 2

Cyl 3

Cyl 4

The transmission had been making noise since getting it out of the field and has increased a lot so at this point I need to rebuild the motor and trans so I start doing research and find that it will cost me a pretty penny to get the things I need for this. On one of my daily searches of craigslist I stumbled onto this.

An '89 toyota supra with a 7m-gte (turbo inline 6) that doesn't have a title. The guy is asking for $1,000. The whole car is there, it runs and drives and only has 116k miles on it. I offered him 600 and he took it.

Hauled it to my apartment for a couple weeks while I finished my research to swap the motor into my truck.

After I felt confident in knowing that I could get this swap done, we drove it back to that dirt barn where the truck first came to life and started pulling the motor.

It's the "Mini Mater"

We drove the motor to the shop where the truck and motor are currently at.

The 7m-gte

The next weekend we got started on pulling the 22re out of the dually. We pulled it in the shop at 12:30 pm

At 3pm we had the motor and trans out.

The following weekend we started lowering the 7m into the truck to test for fitments and things. Progress from here is at a crawl waiting for parts but this is where we are at so far.

I just got the oil pan, oil pump, and motor mounts I needed and will be working on the motor swap more in this weekend or the next.

As for future plans for the truck. Wheels are next to impossible to find for this thing, the lug pattern is 6x7.25. After I get the motor work done, I will be changing out the bench seat for two buckets, 4runner fenders, grill, bumper, and valance, I will be finding some fender flares that will tuck the dually's and finishing the body work, then paint. My plans will likely change but as for now that's the order in which I will be doing future mods to the truck.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my progress!
    Last edited by Zombie Monarch; 03-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.

2. Thanks Dez thanked for this post
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: '91 Toyota Pickup Dually

This is the coolest build I've ever seen!

Super strong work!!!

"Gregorio"

Gameroom Cash
    $14370
    Post Thanks / Like

Thts awesome man good work

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Gameroom Cash
    $35115
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything was looking good as I was scrolling down the pics. Thats when I saw the pic of the swap and things just became much more interesting.
    Awesome project you are doing. Keep us posted. Posts like this gets my brain going 1000miles per hour.
    TRD Supercharger, Shift Kit, M&H Cheater Slicks, Rear Cat Delete, Ground Force 3" lowering rear leaf, G-Tek Airbox Mod, Magnaflow 12468 DI/DO with turndowns, Caltrac Traction Bars, 2400 rpm TC, ASP Bigger Crank pulley, ASP water pulley, Trick Performance 2 gallon reservoir, Killer Chiller, AEM wideband, Autometer water (intercooler fluid) temp gauge, Craven Speed Dual Gauge Pod, AIS water/Meth Injection, ASP supercharger pulley, Ultra Gauge.

First 11 Second Tundra. 11.940 @ 113.19mph.
    1.66 second 60'.

Track Video. First 11 Second Tundra!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb9MNYFwUFA

Track Video 12.034 @ 113mph http://www.jdmtube.com/video/657/Toy...PH-PBIR-Moroso

Track Video 12.15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr09O...e_gdata_player

Gameroom Cash
    $176864
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an incredible amount of work. Thanks for the write-up!

'10 Black 5.7L DC TRD Rock Warrior 4x4

Mods:
    Tundra All Weather Floor Mats
    G-Tek Polished Door Sill Protectors
    TRD Anodized Aluminum Shifter
    Alpine 10" Type-S Shallow mount Subwoofer
    Custom Sealed Sub Enclosure
    Sony Xplod 800 Watt 2-Channel Amp
    Loud Ass Horn Mod
    LED Strip Lighting - floor boards
    LED Interior Bulbs
    Cravens Speed Stubby Antennae
    BHLM
    Plastidipped Badges
    8k 35w Lo/Fogs & 8k 55w Hi HIDs

Gameroom Cash
    $169866
    Post Thanks / Like

Coolest build indeed!!! This is awesome man!!! Keep us posted!

Long Island, NY, Equinunk, PA, Boca Raton, FL
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job

Gameroom Cash
    $118187
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job man!!

Sent from the iPhone1000 using Tapatalk

Gameroom Cash
    $5220
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all! =)

It's still far from done, and I work slow, but one day I will be satisfied with everything I have done and plan to do to it.

Gameroom Cash
    $27765
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet build bro! Can't wait to see the end result!

2007 limited double cab 5.7L 4x4
    pirate billet handles, bhm, black led taillights, kenwood headunit, interior led lights, v-led foot well lights, tow mirrors, astro start remote start, spay bed liner, 2012 platinum grill plastic dip white/black, 2012 lower bumper valance, factory back up camera with voltage regulator, zone5" lift with bilstein 5100 struts on middle setting, making 7" lift,4" rear blocks , toyo mt 35x12.5x18, black rhino imperial rims,go industries black headache rack, led daytime running lights, undercover swing tool box's, flowmaster hushpower true dual exhaust, bushwacker fender flares, afe cai,led third brake light, trd sport shifter knob, trd sport pedals, wheathertech mats, ami black billet gas cap, n-fab nerf bars, de-badged mod,tailgate 3rd brake light, firestone air rite air bags, Firestone wireless airbag controller, custom grill emblem, streetaco carrier bearing drop bracket.

Gameroom Cash
    $169866
    Post Thanks / Like

This makes me wanna buy an old Toyota pickup like my dad's old work truck.

Gameroom Cash
    $169866
    Post Thanks / Like

Any updates?!?!?