Hello Tundra Geeks!
Per request of Dez, I will be uploading my build thread from my '91 toyota hilux on here. I was directed to this site from a fellow member at Toyota Mini's who stumbled onto a thread started by KrytikalMedic who uploaded a quick snapshot he took of me driving my truck and uploaded it here. So without further a due!
My grandfather left the truck to me when he passed away. He and I did the dually conversion off a 92 toyota dolphin RV. It was many years ago and sadly I have no pictures of that process. This is how the truck was when I got it.
It hadn't ran in roughly 4 years. It was parked due to what we thought was a blown headgasket. My grandfather was too old to care about fixing it and had other vehicles so he parked it there and that's exactly how it sat for many years.
My cousin and I pushed it into the nearby barn and started working on it in the dirt, luckily we had a roof over our heads for when it was raining...
We replaced all the hoses, lines, and fluids and did a complete tune up then attempted to fire it up. After a bit of tinkering we concluded that the fuel pump had gone out on it from sitting in the tank for so many years and the hard fuel lines had rusted through so we drilled out the old lines and replaced them and the fuel pump.
We used steel putty just to assure it sealed, the lines were tight but I didn't want to chance water getting in it.
After the complete tune up, cleaning the inside of the fuel tank, replacing the fuel pump, and replacing brake lines it was on the road again.
I got myself a few little goodies to reward myself for getting my grandfathers last project back on the road.
Long tube headers and a short throw shift kit (no pics of the shifter)
A few months later I purchased all the things I would need to retro fit some extremely high quality HID's onto the truck.
The kit below cost me ~$250
Had to modify the light housing to hold the new assembly.
I haven't gotten around to finishing the mounting of the assembly onto the housing and mounting them into the truck. I need to relocate my batt. for clearance of the longer headlights.
Winter came around and I turned my heater on only to be blasted in the face by pieces of grass and other mouse like things. I took off my blower motor and this fell out.
Mice are a nightmare when a car is left outside for years. ha ha.
I didn't like the ancient look of all the lighting inside the truck so it was my next step. (these pictures were taken for a writeup on toyota mini's which is why they appear to be a step by step)
I got new LED's for the gauge cluster and the climate control to remove that nasty green glow they have factory.
About 8 months after getting the truck back on the road, I allowed my uncle to borrow the truck to haul a bed, he came back laughing saying how he had been doing 120mph down the interstate in the truck (my speedo is off from the rear end swap so it was only ~85-95mph but had the rpm's burried well over what a 22re is comfortable doing) a few weeks later I noticed it was starting to burn oil, could have been coincidence, could have been something I did to it, could have just been it's time to start it's problems.
The transmission had been making noise since getting it out of the field and has increased a lot so at this point I need to rebuild the motor and trans so I start doing research and find that it will cost me a pretty penny to get the things I need for this. On one of my daily searches of craigslist I stumbled onto this.
An '89 toyota supra with a 7m-gte (turbo inline 6) that doesn't have a title. The guy is asking for $1,000. The whole car is there, it runs and drives and only has 116k miles on it. I offered him 600 and he took it.
Hauled it to my apartment for a couple weeks while I finished my research to swap the motor into my truck.
After I felt confident in knowing that I could get this swap done, we drove it back to that dirt barn where the truck first came to life and started pulling the motor.
It's the "Mini Mater"
We drove the motor to the shop where the truck and motor are currently at.
The next weekend we got started on pulling the 22re out of the dually. We pulled it in the shop at 12:30 pm
At 3pm we had the motor and trans out.
The following weekend we started lowering the 7m into the truck to test for fitments and things. Progress from here is at a crawl waiting for parts but this is where we are at so far.
I just got the oil pan, oil pump, and motor mounts I needed and will be working on the motor swap more in this weekend or the next.
As for future plans for the truck. Wheels are next to impossible to find for this thing, the lug pattern is 6x7.25. After I get the motor work done, I will be changing out the bench seat for two buckets, 4runner fenders, grill, bumper, and valance, I will be finding some fender flares that will tuck the dually's and finishing the body work, then paint. My plans will likely change but as for now that's the order in which I will be doing future mods to the truck.
Thanks for taking the time to look over my progress!