TRDShop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 3rd Gen Tundra/What we Might Expect

Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 2014 3rd Gen Tundra/What we Might Expect

Definite Enhancements

1. Larger fuel tank. Based on comments from Toyota engineer Mike Sweers (the man currently in charge of designing and developing the next generation Tundra) in this Wall Street Journal article, we know that the new truck will have a larger fuel tank.

2. More traditional styling. From the same article above, we learn that the truck will have a more traditional and aggressive truck like look. Hopefully, we’ll see a glimpse of this new look in the next year or two on a Toyota concept.

3. More aerodynamics and a lower ride height. One of the easiest ways to improve truck fuel economy is to reduce the ride height a little bit as well as flatten the underside the vehicle. The trick is doing these things without impacting ground clearance.

4. New dash. This is almost a foregone conclusion. While we may still see the over-sized knobs, we’ll definitely see better quality materials, new gauges, and a modified layout.
    Likely Enhancements

1. Variable valve lift. Variable valve timing (VVT) is commonplace, but variable valve lift is still a newer feature on most vehicles. Toyota, long a fan of VVT, currently has a couple of engines running a variable-valve lift system. This should make it’s way into all Toyota vehicles in by the middle of the decade.

2. Electric steering. Hydraulic steering pumps are less efficient than electric motors. GM and Ford both plan to move this into their full-size trucks soon, and Toyota will likely follow. In fact, this will be a common feature industry wide.

3. Weight reduction. Toyota will definitely be emphasizing a lower curb weight in the next generation Tundra. However, what they will do to reduce weight is to be determined. It could be that we’ll see a composite pickup bed (similar to the Tacoma), increased use of high-strength steel (which is lighter albeit more expensive), and more expensive sound-deadening materials that dampen road noise without adding weight.

4. New frame design. Between the Tundra frame rust fiasco and complaints about harsh ride and bed bounce, the current Tundra’s frame is a weak spot in many consumer’s eyes. While it’s true that Toyota’s frame is similar in design to heavy-duty trucks offered by GM and Ford, the fact of the matter is that the current frame doesn’t have a good reputation. Look for Toyota to come up with something new.

5. Integrated trailer brake controller. If this feature isn’t already an option, it will be by 2014. Here’s to hoping it comes along sooner.

6. Engine stop-start. This system shuts off the engine at stop lights and then quickly restarts when it’s time to go. It’s a pretty good idea, it saves fuel, and the technology has been around for years. Takeshi Uchiyamada, Toyota executive VP in charge of R&D, has been quoted as saying that stop-start will be added to select products. Considering the amount of fuel used during idle by a big V8 – and considering the special allowance for stop-start systems in the most recent set of CAFE regulations – stop-start seems like a logical addition to the Tundra.

7. More configuration options. We’ve been told that Toyota recognizes the Tundra’s limited configurations hamper sales – especially fleet sales. If Toyota allowed customers to pick and choose options, they could probably gain some sales.
    Possible Enhancements

NOTE: These items are based on informed speculation…but speculation none the less.

1. A new smaller and more efficient V6. Toyota may bring out a replacement to the 4.0L V6 to the Tundra (and Tacoma too).

2. Direct injection. Direct gasoline injection is a great way to improve fuel economy – it’s estimated that it can improve gas mileage from 5-10%, depending on the engine.

3. An HD version of the Tundra. This seems to be the next big move for Toyota, but it will be interesting to see if they actually have the guts to do it. Creating an HD Tundra gives the brand another level of legitimacy, not to mention more sales. However, HD trucks must have a diesel option to be truly competitive. Considering the level of investment required to design, build, and test a new diesel – not to mention the strict emissions requirements – it’s hard to imagine Toyota will pursue this option. Still, some of the people we talk to seem to think it’s coming.

4. Turbocharger. Depending on the success of the EcoBoost F150, Toyota may decide to copy Ford and offer a V6 with a turbo. Toyota’s R&D manager has been quoted as saying that Toyota will be adding turbochargers across the Toyota line-up.

Source: TundraHeadquarters.com

Gameroom Cash
    $3025
    Post Thanks / Like

vvt sounds good as does direct injection. Like the idea of a new frame. Curb-weight is a issue. Lower height is awesome. engine start stop will prob be a flex fuel thing. If they do a v6.. I hope its a simple 2jz Then I would have a v6 tundra . With 1400hp of course.. I dont like electric steering... More problems than hydro.

Toyota.. If your reading Please address the Air-pump and a True mechanical LSD. Keeping the supercharger option a Reg Cab's please.

Thank you, your worst customer

Cater.

click link below. Its a contest for me..

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5: 12.739 @ 108.680 MPH

Gameroom Cash
    $6615
    Post Thanks / Like

^cater I hope your joking about the 2jz thing as it's never been a v-6 buddy. Knowing Toyota it will look like the new 4 Runner which I think looks butt ugly. IMO

Now a question for you guys why is Toyota making it's new cars and trucks look like a Mitsubishi evo?

Da Black Beast
    SUPRATWINS/TRD-X Jim
    TRD oil cap,TRD radiator cap,T-bar shift knob,Complete TRD suspenion kit,All weather floor mats,MPG button mod,TRD dual exhaust,Mud flaps,Front toyota logo blacked out,Skid plate,Front windows tinted,Under seat storage,Door Sill Protectors,Debadged,Kenwood NAV,Security system upgrade with the free dealer activation

Long Island, NY, Equinunk, PA, Boca Raton, FL
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be in the minority here but I would like to see a hybrid, with electric only mode for low speed. It works very well in my wife's Prius, and it is a gas saver.

Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with that Tony! Trucks don't always have to be rugged and manly, they also need to be smart.

I'd like to start a survey asking people if they use their trucks more for work related use or basic transportation.

"Gregorio"

Gameroom Cash
    $7992
    Post Thanks / Like

basic trans....oops, gonna make that survey???
    2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L TRD 4x4 Limited, TRD big brake kit, TRD Supercharger, TRD swaybar, TRD dual exhaust, TRD fender flares, Retrax roll up bed cover, JL stealthbox, billet grille, 20" KMC Rockstars w/custom center caps wrapped in 305/50R20 Nitto TerraGrapplers, Toyota running boards, electronic tail gate unlatch mod....more to come

Gameroom Cash
    $3025
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-X View Post
    ^cater I hope your joking about the 2jz thing as it's never been a v-6 buddy.
    Your right, It's a inline 6. But I still would like to see it in a tundra... Or any-new car.

click link below. Its a contest for me..

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5: 12.739 @ 108.680 MPH

Gameroom Cash
    $16774
    Post Thanks / Like

im diggin some of the new options... but i cant wait that long!! unless i sell my truck like i plan to at the end of the year/beginning of next year and save until then to pay cash moooonay! lol

No Fear Grille, 20x12 Fuel Hostage, AMP Steps, Pocket Style Flares, A.R.E. LSX, , 3 KC 800's, AD Bumper Insert, Oracle Halos, 12'' Bulletproof Lift, 37'' SS-M16, Volant, 26'' PowerSticks w/ RBP Tips, and much more!
    Cardomain page

Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

The bummer about a new generation truck is it usually takes a year or two for aftermarket stuff like lifts to start showing up. Thats why I had mine custom lifted back in mid 07.

"Gregorio"

Gameroom Cash
    $16774
    Post Thanks / Like

i hear ya on that. but thats why u get connections first and hopefully they use the truck for r&d =P

No Fear Grille, 20x12 Fuel Hostage, AMP Steps, Pocket Style Flares, A.R.E. LSX, , 3 KC 800's, AD Bumper Insert, Oracle Halos, 12'' Bulletproof Lift, 37'' SS-M16, Volant, 26'' PowerSticks w/ RBP Tips, and much more!
    Cardomain page

Gameroom Cash
    $10815
    Post Thanks / Like

I may sell mine by when the new one comes out and start over as well! haha
    2011 Tundra, 5.7 4x4, Tons of mods and always changing!!!

Gameroom Cash
    $37173
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-X View Post
    ^cater I hope your joking about the 2jz thing as it's never been a v-6 buddy. Knowing Toyota it will look like the new 4 Runner which I think looks butt ugly. IMO

Now a question for you guys why is Toyota making it's new cars and trucks look like a Mitsubishi evo?

Yes the new 4runner sucks ass in the boxey design they currently have. I even passed them up to cuss I didn't care for the look's nor the refinement the passed 4runner had with it's v8 and good look's. I can't stand Boxey and wedged designs Scion ****ed up the Tc too on the new design for 2011 .

Back on topic about the 3rd Gen Tundra this is what i know so far. Toyota is aiming to please the plublic with an all new design and improved ride quality yet it's still going to be a truck like and feel like a truck yet Frame is all new. Improved ergomics and interior design is going to be set into motion on the 3rd Generation. The 2nd Gen Tundra interior focused on improved switch gear with having better feel on gloved hand's however the placements on controls and esp radio took a step backwards. The new interior design is all about about placement on the gauges themselves and ease of use. Also Engines are going be Improved on Miles per gallon as Goverment standards requires better improved Fuel standard's. It's going to be intresting on how this is possible but Toyota knows what there doing here.

My wish list for the new tundra that lacks on the current gen is the following:

Add better storage on the bed like Dodge has on the Ramm box. wasted space and died space on the bed could be retained for more holding capacity for rope, gloves etc. Add floor storage space too in the cab and provide a power port on the bed like the tacoma has.

Crewmax should have a larger bed for those who require it 6 feet would be great.

Hybrid option should be made.

Option packages that provide more flexiblily on what your gaining.

Sway bar on the rear should be standard.
    Last edited by tundrav8yamaha; 08-18-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast