Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Weird scraping sound on left turns

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weird scraping sound on left turns

Shop at 4Wheelparts.com for 20% off sitewide and FREE SHIPPING
    Sounds like a brake dust shield or rock stuck in the front brake somewhere. My dealer had turned rotors and replaced pads not long ago. I took it back into him to see if maybe the noise was related to the work they did. He says the noise is coming from the rear, which I donít think it is. He says itís from the parking brake. Something needs replaced $1600. Says thereís a bulletin out on it or something like that. I left. I guess Iíll just have a scraping noise on left turns for now. May have a second dealer look at it.
    Anyone else have this parking brake noise? That sounds like itís coming from the front axle?
    Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weird scraping sound on left turns

Does your truck have a lift? Once you lift these trucks the auto braking system becomes very sensitive. Any dash lights come on?

Shoot me a PM about G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors and SABM (Stock Air Box Mod) kits for your 2007/2016+ Tundra>>> PM Dez

"Gregorio"

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Does your truck have a lift? Once you lift these trucks the auto braking system becomes very sensitive. Any dash lights come on?
    No dash lights. I did have bilstein shocks put on all the way around. It brought up the front end about 1 1/2Ē. It feels like thereís something loose in the front end. Very sporadic and slight. Just a tap in the steering wheel when I hit some bumps at 30-40 mph. Donít know if thatís related.
    Is this post in the correct place? Mr moderator please move it if I picked the wrong spot.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Let’s try this...

Crawl under the front end and disconnect the wheel sensors at both front wheels. You’ll see them, they’re the only pair of wires leading to a connector on the front wheels. Disconnect both of them then take a drive and try and replicate your scraping sound. Please report back.

Shoot me a PM about G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors and SABM (Stock Air Box Mod) kits for your 2007/2016+ Tundra>>> PM Dez

"Gregorio"

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Check he back calipers they tend to stick and it will make that sound. You might need to replace the guide pins. Toyota didn’t design them very well. 1 pin slides in a rubber boot the other just in the metal hole of caliper it tends to wear down the pin and get stuck so the brake doesn’t release correctly and will sometimes drag while turning.

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ This is definitely true for the rear calipers as I recently had this problem after replacing the pads. I removed the rust from each pin then greased accordingly.

Although I would for sure try disconnecting the front wheel sensors like I mentioned before.

"Gregorio"

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Will try the front sensors on Tuesday. Iíll let you know.
    Iíve tried to pinpoint the sound by driving slowly with the windows all down. It seems like itís the right front, but the dealer said itís coming from the rear. (Parking brake). I just donít agree with him. I could be wrong though.

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

If the problem does have to do with the sensors you can do what is called a zero point calibration. This procedure should be somewhere here on the site.

"Gregorio"