siliconehose.com
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 2003 Tundra Limited Edition Aftermarket Navi (Reverse/Speed Wire)

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2003 Tundra Limited Edition Aftermarket Navi (Reverse/Speed Wire)

Hello,

So my first post I figure if I can get some help on this I can put together a DIY and benefit the community. So from what I have read the speed wire and the reverse wire are on the harness behind the instrument cluster. I was wondering has anyone thought of building a bypass harness. Basically a harness with a male and female molex connector and wires in the middle. The idea would be to soder the bypass harness to the radio for the speed and reverse wires and then plug it in as a bypass harness. If someone could point me to the parts I would gladly build one and create a DIY on how to do this.

Thanks
    Bluelogic

TG Super Moderator
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2003 Tundra Limited Edition Aftermarket Navi (Reverse/Speed Wire)

If you are looking for the connectors they are available from any Toyota dealer, although they probably will have to be ordered.

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm looking to build a male to female Molex connector as a bypass harness to the speed and reverse wire connector behind the instrument panel. I don't like the idea of splicing into the wires and rather build a bypass harness outside that I can solder on to the navigation/radio. If you know the parts I will buy them and put together a DIY guide.

TG Super Moderator
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

The dealer will have a schematic with part numbers for you to order from

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

A summary of things I found out in my install:

• The Green/Orange Stripe (VSS – Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire behind the instrument cluster is the best wire to tap for Wireless Apple CarPlay. It is on the brown connector. Use a red posi-tap.
    • You need a to remove the lower dash on the driver side with a 10MM socket. Many videos will say to remove the instrument cover you need to shift out of park. I was able to bend mine, so I didn’t have to do this. Be careful this can be very dangerous with your feet holding the brake with the lower dash hanging, and you trying to get the instrument cover off.
    • You must have factory radio brackets. If you don’t then stop, you cannot complete the install. I recommend when you buy new ones and I recommend you buy new ones anyway. Ensure you get the version without the locator pins. Part Number 86212-0C011X1 86211-0C011X1 90153-50010X4 90080-10179X4. You do not need the screws that come with the bracket, you will use the ones from your radio.
    • For Tundra install you will need to cut the Metra Factory Mount. There is a physical line where to cut. Use a razor knife to pre-cut and then sharp scissors to slice it off. Do not cut your finger off.
    • I routed all my cables (2X USB, XM, GPS) behind the glove box. My GPS antenna comes through the passenger column and is placed on the dash right corner.
    • I routed my video cable through a rubber seal next to the passenger seal. I cut the seal into an X shape and pushed my video cable through it and then followed the chassis back to my camera. Ensure your video cable does not touch your muffler. Use lots of zip ties.
    • I tapped in the rear left taillight for power and ground. The Red/Blue wire is the power wire. I used the blue posi-taps. Crutchfield provided two for me in the package.
    • While you are behind your dash you can replace your brunt out drive light. I found replacements at a pick and pull since most people don’t harvest the instrument clusters.
    • I recommend putting leds in the taillights, depending on your camera you might get flicker due to voltage changes.
    • There is a firmware update for the radio I recommend you install it.
    • You can use a red posi-tap to bridge your parking wire to the chassis ground cable. The cable is labeled so it is easy to find.