Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Remember 9/11

Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Remember 9/11

I will never forget it. I was working as the Fire Safety Director in a high rise, mid town Manhattan office building that day. When the first plane hit, all of us on the property management team were called to the building office and watched the events unfold on live TV. Of the dozen or so folks in the office, most thought it was probably an accident. Having a background in aircraft manufacturing, I was 99% sure it was no accident. The skies were as clear as can be, and if a pilot was in trouble and had to set the plane down, the Hudson river was within feet of the towers and a much better place to attempt a crash landing. We then watched in horror as the second plane hit. We immediately started the process of evacuating our building. After the building tenants were evacuated, I went to the roof of my building to observe the situation. There was a squadron of F-14 Tomcats flying around Manhattan for protection. I was heavily involved in the Tomcat program when I worked for the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corp. At the time, the Tomcat was a state of the art, front line Naval fighter and bomber, designed for fleet protection and attacking enemy targets. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think those Tomcats would be needed to protect me.

God bless the victims and their families.

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonyspin View Post
    I will never forget it. I was working as the Fire Safety Director in a high rise, mid town Manhattan office building that day. When the first plane hit, all of us on the property management team were called to the building office and watched the events unfold on live TV. Of the dozen or so folks in the office, most thought it was probably an accident. Having a background in aircraft manufacturing, I was 99% sure it was no accident. The skies were as clear as can be, and if a pilot was in trouble and had to set the plane down, the Hudson river was within feet of the towers and a much better place to attempt a crash landing. We then watched in horror as the second plane hit. We immediately started the process of evacuating our building. After the building tenants were evacuated, I went to the roof of my building to observe the situation. There was a squadron of F-14 Tomcats flying around Manhattan for protection. I was heavily involved in the Tomcat program when I worked for the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corp. At the time, the Tomcat was a state of the art, front line Naval fighter and bomber, designed for fleet protection and attacking enemy targets. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think those Tomcats would be needed to protect me.

God bless the victims and their families.
    I worked on tomcats and there was no zero tomcats on station over New York. All tomcats were stationed in oceana at the time.

Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where they came from but they were circling Manhattan. There were F-15s as well, but I definitely saw F-14s. Other folks saw them as well. They might have come from a carrier in the Atlantic.

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonyspin View Post
    I don't know where they came from but they were circling Manhattan. There were F-15s as well, but I definitely saw F-14s. Other folks saw them as well. They might have come from a carrier in the Atlantic.
    Not from the only base they were at. According to the 9/11 commission report. The navy never responded with aircraft.

Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

They were there, I saw them. I could not mistake them for F-15s. Both aircraft types were flying over NYC that day.