TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 100,000 Miles

November 22, 2012.
    5:57 AM
    Highway 26 West bound, somewhere near the 185th exit
    On my way to work (hence the really crappy out of focus cell phone photos)

2008 Tundra DC 5.7L SR5 4x4 TRD Silver Sky Metallic, Graphite fabric, JBL sound, tow package/mirrors, rear view camera, Homelink EC mirror, TRD Sport shifter, Spray-in liner, OEM: bed rails, brushed SS steps, skidplate, all-weather mats
    Mods by ME: Anytime Camera, WO Seat Covers, Folding Rear Seat, Custom RIjon Grill Badge, ProClip Mobile Phone Holder, Auto-On Headlights, CravenSpeed Bullet antenna, Color-Match Unibrow/ Fog Surrounds/ Tailgate Handle/ Door Handles, Pass Seatbelt Chime Disable, Debadged, G-Tek Door Sill Protectors, TC USA American Roll Cover w/ integrated Yakima rails, In-Bed Axe & Shovel Mounts, Rear Seat Gun Rack, Stock Intake Mod, 55W 6k HID highs, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Auto AC Controller (with reset issue solved), Optitron Gage Cluster swap, 2010 JBL CD Changer with working USB, Power Tailgate Lock
    WISH list: Dechrome & Line-X bumpers, BHLM, fender flares, Level kit, LEDs under bed cover, power fold tow mirrors

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer Vacation - 2012

A couple of photos from July 2012 road trip (~4000 miles).

Loaded up with bikes on the rack over the TC USA Cover

And some shots of the tires covered in red clay dust from Monument Valley, UT (awesome place)

2008 Tundra DC 5.7L SR5 4x4 TRD Silver Sky Metallic, Graphite fabric, JBL sound, tow package/mirrors, rear view camera, Homelink EC mirror, TRD Sport shifter, Spray-in liner, OEM: bed rails, brushed SS steps, skidplate, all-weather mats
    Mods by ME: Anytime Camera, WO Seat Covers, Folding Rear Seat, Custom RIjon Grill Badge, ProClip Mobile Phone Holder, Auto-On Headlights, CravenSpeed Bullet antenna, Color-Match Unibrow/ Fog Surrounds/ Tailgate Handle/ Door Handles, Pass Seatbelt Chime Disable, Debadged, G-Tek Door Sill Protectors, TC USA American Roll Cover w/ integrated Yakima rails, In-Bed Axe & Shovel Mounts, Rear Seat Gun Rack, Stock Intake Mod, 55W 6k HID highs, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Auto AC Controller (with reset issue solved), Optitron Gage Cluster swap, 2010 JBL CD Changer with working USB, Power Tailgate Lock
    WISH list: Dechrome & Line-X bumpers, BHLM, fender flares, Level kit, LEDs under bed cover, power fold tow mirrors

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $16825
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Casey's Better Late than Never Build Log

Awesome truck!!

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown-
    “The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” -Carlos Casteneda-
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Voltaire

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MOD 9: G-TEK Door Sill Protectors

Still making them Casey thanks for the props! As a matter of fact I've been doing tons of them now for the Tacoma! Guys over at TacomaWorld have been keeping me super busy!

Love your build thread, informative as well as entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by LCBrewing View Post
    Won these in an IBTOHQ Raffle...back before this place became the TundraGeeks. And I must say these are awesome. I'll put a set in any truck I ever own moving forward (provided Greg's still making them when I get to that point).

Get yours here (and see lots of examples of installs)
    G-TEK Door Sill Protectors

And here's how they look darn near 5 years later!

Driver's door

Yeah - I could stand to touch that one up. Maybe when I replace my floor mats (I've worn a hole through the driver's one where my heel always rests)...

The rest

Shoot me a PM about G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors and SABM (Stock Air Box Mod) kits for your 2007/2016+ Tundra>>> PM Dez

"Gregorio"

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw.. Might wanna hit that drivers side with some semi-flat black paint. It should match the rest of them pretty good.

Shoot me a PM about G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors and SABM (Stock Air Box Mod) kits for your 2007/2016+ Tundra>>> PM Dez

"Gregorio"

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Greg. I've got some paint, just never seem to get around to it.

Did you ever give any more thought to a G-Tek tail gate cap? I really need to replace mine after all the abuse I've dealt it the past several years. What can I say...this thing is a truck, and I use it like one.

Sent from my Note3 using Tapatalk.

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MOD 20: Optitron (Limited) Gage Cluster

SR5 to Optitron Gage Swap

I managed to find an instrument/gage cluster from a wrecked limited through Auto-Part.com and jumped on it. On March 24 (this year), I parked the truck and took a snapshot of the ODO so I could get the "new" one programmed to matching mileage (I was turned on to a guy here in the PDX area that does speedometer work, who sends the digital ones out to someone he won't disclose to do the ODO programming).

A few days later, the Optitron was back in my hands. About 10 minutes worth of work, and it was...

Goodbye orange dials

And hello white dials (and all of the other functions that aren't in the SR5 gage cluster).

EDIT - I finally got around to adding the write up.
    Last edited by LCBrewing; 03-24-2015 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Link to the DIY

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MOD 21: Auto AC Controls

Limited Auto AC Climate Control

At the same time I was getting the Optitron gage cluster programmed, I was on the hunt for the parts to change over my AC controls to the Auto version that are in the Limited trucks. I managed to find the two major parts (controller unit and amp) through a salvage yard back east where the two parts came from the same truck. The controller had a scratch in the face, so they let it go for a really good price, and I decided to simply order a new face plate direct from Toyota, only in the graphite color from the 2010+ trucks (instead of the piano black).

Another thing I wanted to do while I was working on this mod was see if I could solve the problem that everyone else who's done it seems to report - the temperature will reset to 75-degrees and the unit will reset to OFF every time the truck is left off for more than a few hours. So I grabbed a 2-day access to the Toyota Tech site, downloaded every wiring diagram I could find for a 2008 (and a 2010 for another mod), and started reviewing them. In addition, I scoured over parts diagrams for both Limited and non-limited trucks for everything that could possibly be associated with the AC systems to look for differences.

In the end, I settled on trying adding the one servo that is not installed in the SR5 trucks be default (Cool Air Bypass servo - sits in the upper passenger side of the main AC housing), along with the wiring harness that goes with it.

I also previously had installed the solar sensor (when I did the Auto Headlights), and part of the "standard" Auto-AC upgrade write-ups is adding the thermister, hose, and aspirator/venturi. At the end of March, I wrapped up the install and the results were...

IT WORKED!

Setting the system to 70 degrees and Auto, then parking for the night, it came on exactly as it should when I started it up the next day. And it's been working perfectly ever since.
    Last edited by LCBrewing; 03-24-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add link to full write-up

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MOD 22: Phone Dock USB Cable Routing

FULL WRITE-UP TO FOLLOW...

The following weekend (first weekend of April), I finally decided to clean up my hack-job USB cable routing that I had done when I put in the iBolt xDock for my phone (it comes with a split USB/AUX cable that allows audio output direct from the USB port on the phone).

Previously, I had hacked out a hole in the blank spot on my Drive Monitor Switch that would fit the square head of the USB cable. It worked fine, but there is a little LED back there that is one when the headlights are on and it was a bit annoying. That, and the hole looked like s**t.

I had a new switch coming from a guy on TT who had done the MPG button mod (he sent me his old one so I could rob the blank out of it). So I opted instead to just drill a hole in the dash surround and use a rubber grommet to seal it off for the cable route. This also offers me a place if I change cables later that I can still route a different wire fairly easily. NOTE - when drilling a hole like this, drill from the back side so that it doesn't "peel" the face of the dash material up with the drill bit (don't ask me how I know this) - or use a stepped bit instead of a twist bit.

Down by the cup holder, I cut a small square opening in the back left corner of the top of the pocket to feed the cables down through:

And plugged them in.

Nice and tidy now...

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MOD 23: 2010+ JBL 6-CD Changer with Working USB

FULL WRITE-UP TO FOLLOW (This one will take some time to do)...

I had the JBL system (I'm not an audiophile - it kicks plenty of ass for me) in my 2008 with BT phone calling, but as soon as the 2010 came out with streaming BT audio and USB I was like WTF?!? I had to have it some how...so it only took me a few years to get off my butt and make it happen.

At the end of March, I scored a used A51895 (face plate number) JBL 6-disc HU off of Ebay for $100 shipped. It needed a little polish on the face, but was otherwise in good shape (until I couldn't get it to load CDs - but turned out I found a single tiny ribbon cable had worked loose and needed to be reconnected).

The trick was in finding all of the other goodies that needed to be in place to get the USB port hooked up. And then I discovered when I pulled my old HU out that the connectors in the back of the new one were a little different and that I couldn't get BT to work either. So I put that 2-day Toyota Tech Info access to work digging through wiring diagrams for the 2008 vs the 2010, along with connector types, terminal types, part numbers, and all kinds of other stuff.

There was a lot of try this...back to the drawing board. How about this...back to the drawing board. I think I had the dash of my truck pulled open at least two dozen times in two weeks.

But, in the end, I've got it 100% working (except XM, because I don't have an antenna or a subscription...but I'm very tempted)
    Playing from USB stick:

I've also got the BT working 100% as well - and I love that it both skips tracks using the steering wheel controls AND displays the song and other info on the radio display - it lets me leave the phone display off most of the time unless I'm using it for navigation!

TG Platinum VIP
    Gameroom Cash
    $103753
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MOD 24: CravenSpeed Bullet Antenna

Since some ripped off my previous stubby after it had been on the truck for over 4 years, I decided to replace it with something similar. When I went back to CravenSpeed, they had a "50cal" antenna for Ford Trucks that caught my eye, but didn't have anything for the Tundra. So I called them up and asked, and the guy there said he was actually working on one, and it would be a couple of weeks before they were ready.

Last week, I got the email they had "Bullet Antennas" available for the Tundra, so I jumped in and bought one - along with some custom lettering so I can at least recognize it if someone steals this one and I happen to see it .

It's a closer match to a 338 Lapua than the "50cal" that they had for the Ford...but that's fine. I think the 338 fits with the proportions of the truck much better than a 50 would anyway.

Administrator
    Gameroom Cash
    $100313230
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchase Revtek's REV7506 lift kit and get a 4WP Promotional Gift Card for up to $180
    I bet they steel that one twice as fast Casey! Lol!

I like it!

"Gregorio"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast