Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just picked up a TRD Big Brake Kit

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5325
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just picked up a TRD Big Brake Kit

Shop at 4Wheelparts.com for 20% off sitewide and FREE SHIPPING
    How are your brakes holding up until this point? I've been trying since '07 to find an aftermarket vendor that will make 6 piston calipers and a rotor that has a removable ring (light weight). The TRD rotors you spec'd here are noticeably heavier than the stock rotors so I wondered if they were prematurely wearing from that.

Great post and an even better find for you. You've detailed your install well. Good luck!

PS: NOT even Wilwood makes a rotor for our truck. Brembos are $4500 for the front alone. Rotora once made a kit but I was told they discontinued them due to poor performance form their rotors that were warping (poor metal selection?) within a few thousand miles. So the TRD is all we have that is reasonably priced. IF the TRD rotors wear out in 50k, that's not too bad. It's the excessive weight i'm concerned. The 16" diameter is why (i'm guessing) is needed to compensate for its weight.
    Last edited by Blown5.7; 05-14-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Toyota Tech
    Gameroom Cash
    $52055
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blown5.7 View Post
    How are your brakes holding up until this point? I've been trying since '07 to find an aftermarket vendor that will make 6 piston calipers and a rotor that has a removable ring (light weight). The TRD rotors you spec'd here are noticeably heavier than the stock rotors so I wondered if they were prematurely wearing from that.

Great post and an even better find for you. You've detailed your install well. Good luck!

PS: NOT even Wilwood makes a rotor for our truck. Brembos are $4500 for the front alone. Rotora once made a kit but I was told they discontinued them due to poor performance form their rotors that were warping (poor metal selection?) within a few thousand miles. So the TRD is all we have that is reasonably priced. IF the TRD rotors wear out in 50k, that's not too bad. It's the excessive weight i'm concerned. The 16" diameter is why (i'm guessing) is needed to compensate for its weight.
    They're holding up great so far!!! I have about 50-60 passes at the drag strip, and about 5,000 miles since installing everything, and no sign of fade, pulsation, or abnormal wear.

I agree that the rotors are MUCH heavier than the stock units. I also looked into possible aftermarket alternatives. I did find that Wilwood makes a rotor with almost identical surface dimensions to the TRD (StopTech) units, but there is no rotor hat available, and they are much more expensive than the factory units. They would be a nice alternative though!

As far as premature wear is concerned, I don't believe weight of the rotors is affecting it; I believe it has more to do with the compound of the pads that come with the TRD kit. I've heard it's a harsher compound, meaning the pad digs into the rotor a little more for better bite. This in turn would wear the rotor out over an extended time frame. The pads I'm running now (Porterfield) work great, and so far it seems like they are doing a good job at saving the rotors too. The only thing I noticed about the pads is holding power is slightly less when they're cold. Once they're warmed up a bit, they are hard to beat.

07 Tundra 2WD RCSB 5.7
    2"/4" drop; Belltech shocks, TR rear axle flip kit, Sequoia front swaybar, TRD rear swaybar with TR relocation kit
    BHLM with Oracle 5K LED low beams, DDM/Morimoto 5K 35W HID fogs, VLED switchback turn signals
    TRD Supercharger, G-Tek Fab SABM Kit, JBA long tube headers, custom dual 3" catted exhaust
    IPT modified valve body, CalTrac low-profile traction bars, 4.30 gear swap, Auburn Gear Pro LSD
    Check out my dyno graphs and track times here

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5325
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great news! You went to a lot of trouble to get your truck's brakes straightened out. The job you did was perfect and they look great too.

There was a conversation on another website reference this same topic. I decided i'm going to save some cash and do my brakes with the StopTech slotted, cryo rotors (stock size) and upgraded pads. Going to swap out all the lines to SS. I did my GF's Acura a few weeks ago using the same cryo rotors. Her brakes are seated now and the car stops very well, much better than it did when using stock equipment. Both her car, the '09 Acura TSX and our Tundras ('07-'13) have that front brake warping issue. Mine are severely warped as were hers. I can't wait to swap mine in next summer! Good luck with the TRD BBK...that 16" rotor looks awesome!

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5325
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Wilwood still doesn't make the two-piece BBK rotor for our truck. I mean what the heck - right?

Gameroom Cash
    $6355
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, did you ever install a line lock? if so, can you post some info?

Supercharged 2007 5.7L DC SR5 2WD TRD OFFROAD

*TRD Supercharger*TRD CAI/sabm*OBX longtube headers*Auburn LSD*URD s/c pulley*Shift kit*BAmuffler midpipes*BAmuffler 2.5" dual exhaust w/h-pipe*Stoptech slotted rotors/pads/ss lines*Pioneer Avic Z-140 nav unit*Clarion XC1410 amp*Infinity 6.5" components*Pioneer 10" sub*MTX Blue Thunder amp for sub*Dynamat extreme on all doors & rear cab wall*DVD headrest retrofit*Stubby antenna*BHLM*AFLM*Color matched door handles, mirror covers & tailgate handle*2011 platinum grill retrofit*20% tint*Black 4"exhaust tips*OEM Alarm*Line-X bedliner*DDM Tuning 5k low beams/fogs HID kit*Chrome turn signals*Nfabs*20" OEM black Limited rims*Toyo Open Country AT2's 275/60/20*Tinted rear taillights & 3rd brake light*Black calipers*TRD swaybar*Tundra Racing 3.25" rear drop kit*CoachBuilder bushings & rear shackles*Caltrak traction bars*
    FINAL MODS...BD 93 tune, FXR-3 projector retrofit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12