TRDShop
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: My 2007 5.7l is having intermittent starting problems.

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

patriot My 2007 5.7l is having intermittent starting problems.

Hi All, Chris here. I'm new to the board. I'm here because my Tundra is having some issues starting. I have it in to the dealer now and he called today. My symptoms are as follows:
    Two weeks ago I was parked with the front of the truck significantly lower than the rear. I was using the truck to pull some stumps and I had been starting and stopping it frequently. No mischief at all. Then I went to start it and it cranked fine, fired up and immediately died. I did this maybe three times in a row. That's such a classic fuel problem tell that I put five gallons in the tank. The truck still wouldn't start. I then added another five gallons and the truck fired up and ran just fine. I filled the tank (didn't notice how much it took,) and didn't have any more trouble until last Thursday.

On Thursday I was parked on level ground. The gauge was showing around 1/4 tank, and that jives with my estimation of how far I had gone on this tank. (I bought the truck new in April of 2007 and it's pretty much been my everything vehicle since then.) Also, my low fuel light was not indicating that condition. Same problem; the motor cranked, fired and then died. I added five gallons of fuel, (getting smart now, carrying it with me,) and the truck fired right up and ran great. I went straight to the gas station and filled up. It took 12 gallons.

Ok, so back to the dealer today. He says that the only code relevant to the starting issue is one from the ECM. Obviously, we don't know when that occured. He says that he personally suspects the fuel level sensor from past experience. As they're not really keen on removing the fuel tank while it's nearly full he suggested that I run the level down and then they can inspect/replace the sensor. The codes were cleared so we will know if comes in again that it's recent.

For me, old school shade tree mechanic that I am, I'm thinking water in the fuel, fuel pump going bad, clogged filter in the tank, kinds of thoughts. I've always only run top-tier (Union 76) gas, and that from the same station for 11 years. But we are an ethanol state (Central Washington,) and it does get humid here at times.

I looked around the 'net a bit and it seems like this is not an unheard of problem. If it has been addressed here before I'd be very appreciative of anyone that could recall a thread.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you Gents and Ladies can offer.

TG Super Moderator
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My 2007 5.7l is having intermittent starting problems.

I think the dealer is correct and the most likely suspect is the fuel sensor. Please let us know what they find.

Pro Class
    Gameroom Cash
    $21544
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having the same issue with my 07. Definitely fuel pump, my exception is that it will stay at 1/4 tank and die all of a sudden, no indication, or light. It caught me by surprise 2 times, and that 2 mile walk to the gas station brought me to the conclusion that I also carry a 5 gal fuel can. I have filled up and noticed that it takes about 24-25 gallons so my indicator at the very least is gone.

Mods
    -Front License plate removed
    -FJ Cruiser Running Boards
    -White Turn signals
    -Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    -Laufenn XFit AT 275/65-R18
    -TRD anti-squat bar
    - Optima Yellow top

Up coming Mods
    -VLED interior lights

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Thanks Gentlemen.
    That's one vote for the sensor and one for the fuel pump.
    Anyone else?

TG Super Moderator
    Gameroom Cash
    $83818
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackdemon View Post
    I'm having the same issue with my 07. Definitely fuel pump, my exception is that it will stay at 1/4 tank and die all of a sudden, no indication, or light. It caught me by surprise 2 times, and that 2 mile walk to the gas station brought me to the conclusion that I also carry a 5 gal fuel can. I have filled up and noticed that it takes about 24-25 gallons so my indicator at the very least is gone.
    If the gauge says 1/4 and it takes 25 gallons chances are the sensor is bad. I would think if the pump was bad it wouldn't run at all.

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. Quick question, are the pump and the sender a single unit (probably has a filter element too) to be replaced together?

Pro Class
    Gameroom Cash
    $21544
    Post Thanks / Like

they appear to be 2 separate units, I meant to correct my previous post to say sender unit.. not really the fuel pump.

Mods
    -White Turn signals
    -TRD anti-squat bar
    - Optima Yellow top

Up coming Mods
    -VLED interior lights

Rookie
    Gameroom Cash
    $5000
    Post Thanks / Like

So I picked up the truck from the dealer and because the fuel tank was full they didn't want to work on it. The service writer thinks the ECM is to blame but I'm leaning toward the fuel pump, sensor/filter unit. I'm going to run the tank down and take it back for them to drop the tank, test fule delivery pressure, drop the tank and inspect for water. I will just have the in-tank unit replaced no matter what they find. The codes have been cleared, so if I have another event we should have a new code for it.
    Thanks.

Pro Class
    Gameroom Cash
    $21544
    Post Thanks / Like

Any update on the issue??

Mods
    -White Turn signals
    -TRD anti-squat bar
    - Optima Yellow top

Up coming Mods
    -VLED interior lights