PDA

View Full Version : Performance Accessories Body Lift install Instructions for 06 2wd/4wd Tundra

Dez
02-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Some are negative about body lifts and some are not. I for one am not! If you install it right, you will be fine.

I installed one myself on my 2000 4wd Tundra and took it off road quite often with ZERO issues in the 7 years I drove it.

www.performanceaccessories.com/instructions/5623.pdf

crzy2bealive
12-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a 6inch lift with a 3" body lift on top of that to clear 37's

JPNCA
12-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Bad Idea!

crzy2bealive
12-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Bad Idea!

how so? A lot of desert pre runners run body lifts to clear bigger tires and there going through whoops at 100+ miles per hour usually its the motor or tran or diff that goes out before anything like that would or am i mistaken

Gutz
12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Holy crap?!?!? All that work for a 3in body lift?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?! 1?!!?!

Dez
12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I love hearing from people with absolutely no experience. [shrug]

Gutz
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
That installation guide made it seemed like a crap load of stuff to install that body lift. I take it it's easier than it looks?

Dez
12-14-2010, 08:26 PM
That installation guide made it seemed like a crap load of stuff to install that body lift. I take it it's easier than it looks?

Nope, its a ton of work. The one I did on my 1st gen took friggin all day.

crzy2bealive
12-14-2010, 08:26 PM
That's something I would pay someone to do!

Dez
12-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Just make sure they torque the bolts to spec and use loctite!

crzy2bealive
12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Why does everyone bag on bodylifts i see no problem if installed correctly

JPNCA
12-15-2010, 04:56 AM

Because I have seen 2 beds come loose and a steering extension break. It was a performance accessory part too

JPNCA
12-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Besides who wants to look like a chevy with you frame hanging out the bottom of the truck[bigsmile]

Dez
12-15-2010, 05:54 AM

One thing I've learned about forum talk is some people like to think they're the up most authority on things and love to be the barer of what they think is bad news, when in actuality 9 out of 10 of these people have never experienced what they're talking crap about. The fact remains there has never been enough proof of failed BL's to warrant them unsafe, its always TALK. Maybe 1 out of every 50 fail due to lack of knowledge and poor installation. If the BL is installed correctly there will never be a problem weather used for off road or just every day street driving. I beat the fook out of my 2000 4wd Tundra with a 6" RCD and a 3" Performance Accessories BL and NEVER ONCE had an issue. I'm a mechanic, I installed them right, and in 6 or 7 years experienced no problems.

A body lift has 12 mounting points, 6 at the cab and 6 at the bed which makes it virtually impossible to have any sway issues.. Some people talk about how the cab and bed experience a high center of gravity and sway effect but this is speculation. Once the bed is secured at all 12 points it remains as solid as stock. Sure, if the mounting points are not torqued down correctly and without loctite there could be an issue if taken off road.

* The way the steering extensions are designed you can drive all day on loose bolts without issue. Steering extension failures are even more rare than BL failures.

Robert you got a little taste of how I drive a vehicle off road so you can imagine what I put that BL through.

This has been an on going topic and all I ever hear from a certain someone is "Ive seen two body lifts fail, bla bla bla...". He has never once produced a pic of a Tundra with a failed body lift, and the only pic I've seen is a beat up back woods 1980 SR5.

With the excess frame showing it actually makes the truck look beefier, especially the 1st gen Tundra.

I can see this debate is never going to end.

crzy2bealive
12-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Because I have seen 2 beds come loose and a steering extension break. It was a performance accessory part too

Well if your consistently checking and torquing your bolts on the bed that shouldn't happen right and putting lock tite... I'm not sure what you can do to prevent steering extension break

JPNCA
12-17-2010, 10:24 AM
How many people check any parts on their vehicles?
Most people don't even take the time to check the oil

I just think there is better ways of lifting trucks

Dez
12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Every vehicle I've ever owned with suspension upgrades I've bolt checked at least once a month, and to this day I still check my oil every couple of months.

It's called "preventative maintenance".

The people that don't check parts and oil are generally the ones who have troubles.

crzy2bealive
12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Every vehicle I've ever owned with suspension upgrades I've bolt checked at least once a month, and to this day I still check my oil every couple of months.

It's called "preventative maintenance".

I check my oil and tire pressure monthly...since I don't have any suspension uprades I don't have anything to check really...I just do a visual check of everything

JPNCA
12-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Ye but most don't

Wouldn't it be better to put some prerunner fenders on if you want a little more tire.